[Marxism] Jimmy Carter: the U.S. government's shameful human rights, international behavior

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Tue Jun 26 10:43:25 MDT 2012

Louis Proyect wrote

...Carter has done himself proud on this as well as his writings on
Israeli apartheid.
He may have, but it's just as well to remember that this kind of
argument is well within the bounds of permissible discourse on the
policies that best serve an imperialist project. Insiders, in kind, can
respond that Carter is functioning at an ideological level that's still
within the period of his own presidency, 1976-1980, when the threats to
imperialism and the smooth operation of capital accumulation were seen
by many to be of a different, less ominous order. Or that, if Carter had
not been so namby-pamby hand-wringing about the overthrow of the Shah
and the resurgence of nationalism in Iran in 1979 and had acted
promptly, directly or by proxy, to cut it all short, without having left
Reagan to cut a humiliating deal involving the Israelis, Col. North and
the Contras in Nicaragua, we wouldn't be in such a pickle now, with Iran
as a continuing threat in the middle-east, and moves toward the
overthrow of our favored dictators erupting all over the place. Who
would be more accurately serving the interests of the hegemon is another
question.