[Marxism] A.N.C., Admitting Failures, Weighs How to Lift South Africans

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Wed Jun 27 10:47:23 MDT 2012

Am debating this right now on the main Joburg radio station with a top
banker.

I usually disagree with this guy, but on 'talk left walk right', he has
it right:

On 6/27/2012 6:29 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> “There is going to be lots of fairly radical rhetoric, and the actual
> proposals are going to be actually quite meek and mild,” Mr. Friedman
> said. “This has been the pattern all along.”

Here's the latest from the ANC's conference:

Zuma's second transition rejected by ANC commissions
27 JUN 2012 17:47 - MICHELLE PIETERSEN, MATUMA LETSOALO

Insiders say the second transition document championed by President
Jacob Zuma was rejected, dealing a blow to his re-election campaign.

The majority of the 11 commissions on the ANC's strategy and tactics
policy discussion document on Tuesday rejected the second transition
document.

The M&G was reliably told by more than eight ANC delegates – from both
the Zuma and Kgalema Motlanthe camps – who attended different
commissions on strategy and tactics that the document championed by Zuma
as the party's answer to the country's economic and social problems was
flatly dismissed. Motlanthe has publicly rejected the idea of the second
transition – prompting angry reactions from Zuma and his close allies,
including ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe.

The second transition dominated debate during the first and second day
of the ANC's policy conference, with Zuma telling delegates during his
opening address on Tuesday that the country has completed the first
transition – which was mainly about political freedom – and now needed
to shift into the second transition, which focuses on economic and
social transformation.

Zuma told journalists on Tuesday he was having "sleepless nights"
worrying about people who were still living in squalor 18 years after
the dawn of democracy.

He said the second transition was necessitated by the triple challenges
– inequality, poverty and unemployment – facing South Africa.

ANC insiders told the M&G the second transition was rejected on the
basis that it was "theoretically unsound" and too far a departure from
the party's 2007 strategy and tactics document that guided the movement
on its national democratic revolution.

ANC's an open book, says Zuma ahead of closed policy sessions

   Delegates also complained the language used in the document – which
Motlanthe described as Marxist jargon – was incomprehensible to many
ordinary delegates and it lacked concrete plans to take forward the
vision as punted by Zuma.
In what appeared to be a pre-emptive strike, Zuma on Tuesday sought to
distance himself from the second transition document despite the fact
that he used it as a campaign ticket during the recent provincial ANC
and union conferences.

During commissions at the policy conference, Zuma's home province,
Kwazulu-Natal and Mpumalanga tried hard to push for the second
transition document to be adopted as policy.

ANC policy head Jeff Radebe said at a press briefing on Wednesday
delegates were debating whether to adopt a new "fully-fledged" strategy
and tactics document or to make amendments to the existing one.

The conference was expected to resolve on proposed resolutions on Thursday.