[Marxism] Bukharin clears it all up

james pitman marinercarpentry at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 02:32:28 MDT 2012

I agree with Dave in that a lot of the psychology of short-termism comes
from the financial sector, and there's a tension between industrial capital
and financial capital. So financial capital steamrollers over governments,
seeks complete deregulation and complete mobility. Industrial capital
however, talks about capital flight and deregulation, but the reality is
that a lot of this is rhetoric used as leverage to make governments act and
to justify themselves to the public; in fact, industrial capital relies
upon a much closer relationship with the state than they'd care to admit,
implementing protectionism to ward off foreign competition, tightening
labour law etc.

But its the financial sector that have the ears of our politicians in a
much bigger way than big industrial capital, as an obvious residue of the
neoliberal project. I suppose the way GM and Chrysler etc started to make
more money from the markets than car sales points to this. But the
difficulty for any economy sustaining this bias would be that its becoming
more divorced of productive labour, and unless we throw out  LTV for
theories of self-expanding capital, immaterial labour and other bollocks,
then its obvious this will be deeply problematic for any economy. Its akin
to letting the tail wag the dog or more precisely the parasite control the
host.