[Marxism] Occupy movement aims to come back in force

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Mar 1 06:50:59 MST 2012

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/03/01/occupy-movement-aims-come-back-force

Occupy movement aims to come back in force
Submitted by Allie Grasgreen [2] on March 1, 2012 - 3:00am

For the college Occupy movement, the past couple of months have
been largely quiet – the attention-grabbing marches and rallies
have fizzled, encampments have closed, and there has been no
pepper-spraying [3] or baton-swinging [4] to speak of.

But students say quietness does not equal dormancy, and today
they’ll be out to prove it in a national “Day of Action.”

“Students are still working, but just because they haven’t seen
all of us out in the streets every day, they think that it’s
over,” said Caitlin MacLaren, a New York University student and
organizer at Occupy Education [5], a network of occupations and
student and faculty groups that are coordinating the Day of
Action. “People will see that it’s just kind of a winter lull, and
people are just hibernating a little bit.”

During this down time, students on campuses spanning California to
Florida have been discussing the “next phase” of the movement,
which Occupy Education says will begin today. More than 100 campus
occupations and education and labor groups have told Occupy
Education they will take part, but, as previous events have shown
[6], many who participate do so informally. Expected student
turnout is in the hundreds for many colleges; on many campuses,
rallies or teach-ins are planned.

While the winter season and break from school have allowed
protesters time for reflection and perhaps revision to their
approach, it has also – for the media and some students – brought
dwindling focus and camp closures. As the student activism
historian Angus Johnston notes on his blog [7], more than three
dozen campus occupations have sprouted up in the last five months,
but many have since been shut down or are on hiatus after being
evicted. Others have survived via telecommunication or weekly
meetings in new locations, which, while undoubtedly pleasing to
campus officials, has made it more difficult to gather.

“The value of the encampments is having a bunch of people in the
same place with their various struggles ... really coming and
talking about the similarities,” said Ethan Jury, a Temple
University senior who helped coordinate today’s events in
Philadelphia. Jury also noted that the occupations that have been
most active throughout the winter are in warmer climates (read:
California). “It’s one thing to send e-mails, it’s one thing to
have conference calls. But it’s another to be meeting each other.”

In Philadelphia today, students from Temple and the University of
Pennsylvania will stage a walk-out and rally before converging at
the governor’s office to hear speakers from education and
immigrants’ rights groups.

The joint effort in Pennsylvania and across the country highlights
a tactic that we may see more of come spring: collaboration
between occupations. Many have realized they can accomplish more
as a united front, in spirit if not location. (Occupy Colleges
[8], which organized the last big day of action in October, itself
emerged as a show of solidarity with Occupy Wall Street.)

When you sit down and talk with people about the issues college
occupations are primarily focused on – skyrocketing tuition,
privatization of higher education, corporate ties to universities,
poor transparency of budgets, and, overall, education as a right
and not a commodity – “You realize that these certain issues that
you’re struggling from are part of this larger system, and your
interests are tied to the interests of parents and workers and
other community members,” Jury said. “When you participate in
something like what we hope March 1 will be, where you’re not only
on the streets with students but you’re on the street with other
individuals ... you engage yourself in a larger dialogue.”

“It magnifies all of the individual struggles. It’s really
important to point out what’s happening here in the [City
University of New York] system or the [University of California]
system is very related, and what’s happening with private schools
is also connected,” MacLaren said. “It’s an across-the-board
attack on public education and on the right to education.”

In California, numerous chapters of the state faculty association
have thrown their support behind Occupy. So has the American
Association of University Professors [9]. Students on campuses
outside the Golden State, meanwhile, have said faculty members are
supportive privately, but afraid to speak out on these issues for
fear of professional repercussions.

Faculty and students both have something to gain from working
together on these issues, said Maureen Loughran, a California
Faculty Association field representative at California State
University at San Marcos.

“Students are really taking it on themselves, but there’s a
solidarity with faculty and students that I see as being very
powerful. It’s almost like it’s becoming an organic two-way
street,” she said. “The students inspire the faculty and faculty
inspire students.”

In California, today’s events will be a precursor to March 5, when
CSU students and faculty will bus to the Capitol in Sacramento,
where thousands are expected to rally for better funding for
education, jobs and services. (The March 1 Day of Action was
actually Occupy Education California [10]’s brainchild; New York
joined in when it got wind of the plan and other campuses signed
on from there.)

“I think [the movement] has been there all along; I don’t think it
ever died down. They’ve just been in planning mode rather than
action mode,” Loughran said. “It may seem like the movement was
quiet, but they’re certainly planning for an action that I think
will be very loud. It may not be that they have continuous action
going on, which is probably good. They’re thinking, they’re
assessing.”

For some, today could be start of a movement rather than the
reprising of one.

Washington, D.C. is one place where college Occupy has been
conspicuously absent. American University student Ben Johnson
speculates this is for two reasons. One, the regularity of
protests in the District means it can be tough to make an impact
with yours, and two, the dominance of private colleges in the region.

“I don’t think it’s really fair to say [the movement] fizzled out,
because it’s never really gotten its feet,” Johnson said. “I think
it’s been harder to motivate a lot of the schools here because a
lot of the occupations I’ve seen happening out West have been done
with public schools, so they’re working with a different
demographic. That’s not to say people in private schools aren’t
affected by the same issues; however, I think that in a private
school, I think you’re more likely to say, ‘Yeah, I’m perfectly OK
with my school, because I chose it.’ ”

But today, students from colleges around the region – public and
private – will march from McPherson Square near the White House
downtown past a Sallie Mae office, and across the National Mall to
the Education Department, where they will rally outside as
employees are leaving for the day. While Johnson believes today is
important to get things rolling, what comes after will be more so,
he said.

“I would not actually call it crucial,” he said. “This is more the
beginning of a very long campaign against these issues.”

The timing of the Day of Action is less than coincidental, notes
Angus Johnston, who is also an adjunct assistant history professor
at CUNY’s Hostos Community College. “For the last three years, the
first week of March has seen a national day of coordinated student
action in support of accessible, democratic higher education,”
Johnston wrote. “The 2010 day of action came as the nation’s most
active year of student protest in decades was in full swing.
Building on the California protests and occupations of fall 2009,
March 4 saw more than 120 actions in 33 states, and drew a level
of media attention that was, for its time, astonishing. A year and
a half before Occupy Wall Street was launched, 11 months before
the Wisconsin statehouse occupation began, March 4 was for many
the first sign that something big and new was bubbling up from the
campuses.”
Source URL:
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/03/01/occupy-movement-aims-come-back-force

Links: