[Marxism] The Great Inequality

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Mar 2 10:01:52 MST 2012

http://monthlyreview.org/2012/03/01/the-great-inequality

The Great Inequality
Michael D. Yates

Michael D. Yates (mikedjyates [at] msn.com) is associate editor of
Monthly Review and editorial director of Monthly Review Press. He
is the author of Why Unions Matter and Cheap Motels and a Hot
Plate, and the editor of Wisconsin Uprising: Labor Fights Back,
all published by Monthly Review Press.
This essay is, in part, a discussion of Inequality and Power: The
Economics of Class by Eric A. Schutz (London: Routledge, 2011).

In the early 1980s, I began telling my students that growing
inequality of income and wealth would become the dominant
political issue of the future. I did not think that the future
meant thirty years, but better late than never. The Occupy Wall
Street (OWS) uprising has put inequality squarely on the political
agenda, with the brilliant slogan, “We are the 99%.” While the
“99%” includes many rich persons, the focus on the “1%” at the top
of the economic pyramid serves to shine a light on those who rule
both the economy and the politics of the United States. The 1
percent is a diverse group, but among them, especially at the top,
are the men and (a few) women who own controlling interests in our
largest businesses, including the financial corporations whose
actions precipitated the Great Recession, which officially began
in December 2007 and ended in June 2009, and has since morphed
into what looks like a long period of slow growth best termed
stagnation. They are also the people whose campaign contributions
and prominent positions in Congress, as advisors to the president,
and on the Supreme Court have placed the government firmly on the
side of the rich.

Given the prominence that OWS has given to inequality, it is
useful to know what causes it.1 We cannot just look at the facts,
dramatic as they might be, and say that something is wrong or that
all we need is to take money from the rich and transfer it to the
poor. What is needed is a theory of distribution, because this can
give us guidance on what political strategy might best confront
the underlying forces that generate inequality. Fortunately,
economist Eric Schutz, in his timely book Inequality and Power:
The Economics of Class provides us with such a theory. His
argument is simple and straightforward. Those who are rich have
advantages that keep them rich, while the poor suffer
disadvantages that keep them poor. However, there is a
relationship between the two groups, one in which the rich have
power over the poor, and this relationship is built into the
nature of a capitalist economy and continuously reproduced by it.
The power of the dominant group reinforces the existing set of
social/property relationships, which serves to further enhance the
power of the dominant group relative to all others. It turns out,
no surprise to readers of Monthly Review, that the rich are the
capitalists, and the poor are the workers (what differentiates the
book, however, from most radical works is that Schutz provides
concrete examples and extremely clear exposition to give chapter
and verse to Marxian, and particularly Gramscian, concepts). All
sorts of complications must be considered, but these work in
general to strengthen the basic power inequality. Therefore,
attacking inequality will require nothing less than attacking
capitalism itself. There are a host of pragmatic measures that can
reduce inequality, but only those that address the
system-generated power of the capitalists can strike down the
structures that give rise to it in the first place.

(clip)