[Marxism] Australian treasurer discovers some members of the ruling class are members of a ruling class

Nick Fredman nick.fredman at optusnet.com.au
Fri Mar 2 14:15:29 MST 2012

The contortions of this government - beset on the left by the Greens, and
the reality of capitalist crisis, and on the right by rampaging Tony Abbott
- trying to be just a little bit but not too social democratic, is something
to behold.

Swan attacks rich vested interests

In the article published in the latest Monthly magazine Mr Swan argues a
small portion of Australia's rich list are using their considerable wealth
to oppose good public policy.

He says people like Gina Rinehart, Clive Palmer and Andrew Twiggy Forrest
are being aided by biased editorial policy and "shock-jock ranting".

Mr Swan is in Brisbane this morning and he's spoken to our chief political
correspondent Sabra Lane.

WAYNE SWAN: Well I wrote the essay because I think the fair go that we all
cherish, the fair go that we nurture is at grave risk today because vested
interests are on the march. And we've seen this just not through our debate
on resource taxation. We've seen it through carbon pricing and we've seen it
through the debate about plain packaging of tobacco...  a few individuals...
A few ... that revenue source is supported by the responsible elements of
the mining industry... 99 per cent of business people do the right thing by
the country ... Etc etc.

Full http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2012/s3443916.htm