[Marxism] Facebook frustration

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 08:05:55 MST 2012

On 2012-03-03, at 9:54 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> I simply don't understand how comrades with a large number of FB "friends" can wade through all the stuff to find something relevant. I only have 330 friends and it takes forever to go through the posts. I know that some people who are really into it have more than a thousand "friends"...Part of the problem is that my FB friends feel the need to convey information that will not be news to anybody on top of current events. For example, I don't need to be informed about Rush Limbaugh's sexist radio commentary. I guess that goes with the territory when you become "friends" with total strangers.

Be thankful for "friends" who at least take an interest in the world around them. :)

Facebook for most is just status competition in the digital age:

Facebook as a MMORPG? Playing Pretend Online
By Krystal D'Costa
Scientific American
March 1, 2012

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/anthropology-in-practice/2012/03/01/facebook-as-a-mmorpg-playing-pretend-online/?WT_mc_id=SA_DD_20120302

[…]

Ah, Facebook. A source of tension for so many couples for so many reasons from that co-worker you’re friendly with to the old boyfriend or girlfriend who wants to reconnect to evidence that you’re not reaching your potential based on where your age-mates have traveled, or what they’re driving, or where they’re living or that corner office they just snagged. Or how unbelievably, undeniably content they are with their lives—with every single excruciating detail of their lives whether it’s the pancakes they ate for breakfast or the new belt they just bought or the degree of love and affection they have for their significant other. The connectivity of Facebook has spawned what I have previously called the Hydra Profile—a joint profile that mixes friends, interests, and allows couples to monitor each other’s activities closely on the social networking site.

It can be too much, sometimes.

And if you don’t feel you match up to the vacations, job promotions, house buying, shopping trips, and the otherwise perfect life that everyone seems to be living (online), it can make you unhappy. Seriously unhappy, according to a recent study.