[Marxism] Facebook frustration

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Mar 4 10:41:31 MST 2012

On 3/4/12 12:33 PM, Mark Lause wrote:

> It's the nature of American civilization at this point that it makes a
> certain portion of its population sociopathic.

One other problem I have with FB is how bereft it is of serious
discussion or debate. And often when it occurs it is with people who you
really have little or no affinity with.

Yesterday a grad student in London named Sebastian wrote glowingly about
Steve McQueen's "Shame", a movie I really hated, even more so than
"Hunger", his horrible movie about Bobby Sands.

When I took exception to the film, I found myself in an argument with
people on Sebastian's wave-length, who are grad students like him or
junior faculty members. When one of them wrote "Also, what about someone
like Tarkovsky? His films are suffused with emotion, but his characters
are either detached or otherwise somewhat lacking in internal life. They
are tools to engender a kind of purely temporal experience of cinematic
haecceity", I chuckled at the use of the word "haeccity" and signed off.

There are frequently good discussions engendered by something that Doug
Henwood writes or Corey Robin wrote (I unfriended him a while back out
of pique, probably a mistake) but that's about it.