[Marxism] Why Israel Couldn¹t Take Out Iran¹s Nuclear Program Even if It Wanted To

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 4 18:21:03 MST 2012

David: "Eli's argument boils down to: "Ahmadinejad says they are not
building nuclear WMD, so we should believe him"."

My post was aimed at one simple notion, namely, to rebut the idea (whether
it actually came from Fidel or not) that Ahmadinejad is on a "nuclear kick."
Speeches like the one I quoted at length, and many others, clearly make that
a preposterous idea. They don't necessarily disprove that Iran has some
secret nuclear weapons program, or the desire to have one, although the
complete lack of evidence that it does is certainly relevant in that regard.

Speaking of preposterous, then there's this from David:

"The "problem" is that their enrichment facilities are built like military
bunkers. Why? Sure, the idea of course would be to protect them. But
building a very expensive, every expansive enrichment and fuel fabrication
facility 600 ft under groups and NOT allowing IAEA inspectors in belies
their claim that it's "only for civilian uses". I mean, why? Iran has an
absolute right under the Nuclear non-Prolifieration Treaty of which they
are signatories to enrich fuel for peaceful purposes. This means, under
IAEA inspections, they can do almost anything they want. There is simply no
reason to "protect" these facilities."

It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud at this notion. Yes,
Iran has an absolute right under the NPT to do what it is doing. And the
U.N. resolutions and blockades leveled against it by the "international
community" (i.e., the U.S. and its allies) quite clearly demonstrate that
those rights mean nothing in the real world. And as to why they might want
to protect them from attack, gee, I just can't imagine. We only have the
precedent of Iraq and Syria, AND the constant threats of such attack from
virtually every U.S. and Israeli politician and government official of any
importance (outside of the U.S. Military). So gee, I just can't imagine why
they would take such threats seriously.

"In my view they either throw their facilities wide open, or withdraw from
the NPT and state clearly they are aiming to achieve nuclear weapons
capability."

Why would they state clearly they are aiming to achieve nuclear weapons
capability when they have stated as clearly as possible (evidently not
clearly enough either for U.S. politicians and media, or for David either
for that matter) that they are NOT aiming to achieve nuclear weapons
capability?

"For us in the West, our only role is to prevent US and Zionist intervention
in Iran."

Quite right. And one of the ways to do that is to TELL THE TRUTH, and rebut
the lies that permeate the U.S. media.

Eli Stephens
 Left I on the News
 http://lefti.blogspot.com