[Marxism] Are pay cuts a solution to the crisis?

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Mar 5 06:05:28 MST 2012

Within bourgeois economics, that was an issue that was debated back in the 1920s and 1930s.  Pigou famously argued that paycuts were necessarily to reduce unemployment during a slump.  John Maynard Keynes argued that attempting to do paycuts during a slump may prove to be counterproductive because this might reduce effective demand.  Keynes argued that fiscal and monetary stimulus would be a more effective and practical way for dealing with a slump.  It's interesting to note though that one of his arguments for reflation was that it would achieve the same sort of thing that Pigou had hoped to achieve by cutting wages, because while monetary wages would not be reduced, workers' real incomes would be reduced as the cost of living rose in response to fiscal and monetary stimulus.

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant
http://www.foxymath.com
Learn or Review Basic Math