[Marxism] Hamid Dabashi, Vijay Prashad, Syria, and the left

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Mar 5 11:46:54 MST 2012

I would like to call your attention to two important articles on
Syria written by leftist scholars based in the U.S. The first is
by Hamid Dabashi, an Iranian studies professor in the Department
of Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies (MESAAS) at
Columbia. Formerly known as MEALAC, this department is a bastion
of anti-imperialist sentiment and closely associated with the
postcolonial perspective of the late Edward Said. Dabashi’s
article, titled On Syria: Where the Left is right and the Right is
wrong, appeared in the February 28 edition of Al Jazeera and
includes a critique of a wing of the left that has been backing
“anti-imperialist” dictators in the Middle East that will be
familiar to my regular readers.

On March 2nd, Vijay Prashad, Professor of International Studies at
Trinity College in Connecticut, replied to Dabashi in an article
titled The Left and the People: Extending Hamid Dabashi’s Critique
that came as a surprise to me after reading it this morning under
the assumption that he would have been on the opposite side of the
fence. I had singled Prashad out for criticism in an article I
wrote back in April 2011 titled The anti-anti-Qaddafi left  and
expected him to sell the Syrian opposition short even though in
retrospect I must confess that I was casting my net too wide when
I linked him with Global Research et al in the first place.

Of course, if I had paid attention to the title of the article to
begin with, I would have noticed that he was extending Dabashi’s
critique not attacking it. That will learn me to read more
carefully in the future, a major challenge given the cataracts I
have in both eyes and the macular pucker in the left that makes
reading from it virtually impossible. Furthermore, since the
article was published in Jadaliyya, a website very close to
Dabashi’s viewpoint politically (rather than Counterpunch, for
example), I should have figured out that my expectations were in
error.

full:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2012/03/05/hamid-dabashi-vijay-prashad-syria-and-the-left/