[Marxism] C. Wright Mills and Marx

ehrbar at greenhouse.economics.utah.edu ehrbar at greenhouse.economics.utah.edu
Mon Mar 5 12:40:19 MST 2012

>  working on Mills and Marx right now.

Adam,

In my efforts to understand Climate Change Denial I bumped
into the book "The Managed Heart: Commercialization of Human
Feeling" by Arlie Russell Hochschild, 1983.  Arlie takes off
from Mills and goes into the direction of Marx, dealing with
work place issues which were overlooked by Bravermann and Studs
Terkel.  It concentrates on the "emotional labor" which
flight attendants, bill collectors, hotel receptionists and
many other service professions have to perform.  It is an
amazing book, and I keep thinking: how come I haven't known
about it?  Do others know this book, and what is your take
on it?

Hans