[Marxism] Amusing gossip about Saul Bellow

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Mar 6 09:30:45 MST 2012

On 3/6/2012 10:42 AM, Michael Smith wrote:
> I have a blind spot for Bellow's work; never
> understood what the fuss is about.

After dropping out of the SWP in 1978, I had foolish notions about
writing novels. To get a handle on how to do it, I started reading
intensely. One of the novels I read was "Herzog". It and other
"well-written" works convinced me that I could never write like
that in a million years. I used to tell friends that there was a
chapter in "Herzog" where the eponymous character visits an old
flame, a Japanese woman. He goes to her bathroom and spends about
3 pages describing her toiletries, a bravura feat of writing. But
what the fuck was the point?