[Marxism] Think Twice Before Donating to Kony 2012, the Charitable Meme du Jour

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Mar 7 15:13:38 MST 2012

http://jezebel.com/5891269/think-twice-before-donating-to-kony-2012-the-meme-du-jour

Think Twice Before Donating to Kony 2012, the Charitable Meme du Jour

I admit that I instinctively hated the Kony 2012 Campaign as soon as I
watched 15 seconds of the effort's new viral video, produced by
non-profit Invisible Children, which pledges to make extremely evil
Ugandan warlord Joseph Kony famous, "not to celebrate him, but to raise
support for his arrest and set a precedent for international justice."

Okay, to be perfectly honest, I was skeptical before I even pressed
play, since no less than 15 of my Facebook friends had posted about the
video, beseeching everyone to "stop tweeting" and pay attention to the
video's 30 minute message. Fine, I thought, clicking on the video and
wondering why the people who usually bombarded me with cat memes and
status updates about getting high and eating McDonalds were suddenly
fervent supporters of Ugandan children.

(clip)