[Marxism] Morris Berman?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Mar 9 11:21:49 MST 2012

On 3/9/2012 1:03 PM, Tristan Sloughter wrote:
> I didn't know such a harsh claim existed. I think the unique development in
> the United States, while influenced by the lack of developing out of
> feudalism, is much more complicated than simply lack of feudalism.

I plan to post something in a few days that has a connection to
this. At Charles Post's meeting, Vivek Chibber stated that
"political Marxists" (ie. Brennerites) deny that there is such a
thing as a "bourgeois revolution" although he felt that the
exception to the rule might be the American civil war where the
bourgeoisie confronted the "precapitalist" slave-owners and
effected a social revolution. Frankly, I have always had problems
with describing a class as "pre-capitalist" since that can
encompass both Mississippi plantation owners and Maori tribes. But
I want to delve more into the question of whether the bourgeoisie
ever confronted the feudal gentry in the same way that the workers
confront the bourgeoisie.

More later...