[Marxism] China Already Has 100 Million Electric Vehicles (really?)

DW dwaltersmia at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 22:13:27 MST 2012

The paper from the primary scientific literature I will discuss tonight in
this brief diary is a joint publication from scientists at the University
of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tsinghua University in Beijing, and the University
of Minnesota.   The reference is Environ. Sci. Technol. 2012, 46,
2018−2024<http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es202347q>.
 *Environmental Science and Technology* is a publication of the American
Chemical Society.  Here's an excerpt of the paper which is entitled
"Electric Vehicles in China: Emissions and Health Impacts":

"This article’s focus on electric vehicles (EVs: electric cars [e-cars] and
electric two-wheelers including electric bicycles and light electric
scooters [e-bikes]) in China is motivated in part by their unprecedented
rise in popularity (Figure 1). While conventional vehicle (CV) ownership
and electricity consumption in China are both increasing rapidly − annual
growth rates during the past decade were ∼25% and ∼10%, respectively −
e-bike ownership is skyrocketing: 86% annual growth during
the past decade (doubling time: ∼13 months). Ten years ago, e-bikes were
nearly unheard of, with vehicle ownership rates 26× lower for e-bikes than
for CVs. Today, e-bikes outnumber CVs 2:1. E-bikes in China are the single
largest adoption of alternative fuel vehicles in history, **with over 100
million vehicles purchased in the past decade, more than all other
countries combined**."

The emphasis is mine.

Conventional Vehicles are of course, gasoline and diesel powered vehicles.

The paper is about the comparative pollution associated in China with
conventional petroleum fueled vehicles vs the electrical vehicles.   Since
the electrification of its transport system is yet another place where
China is eating the US lunch, we might see what we can *learn* from their
more advanced technology and see how it might apply to our far more
primitive *conservative* technology, our "drill baby drill" reality.

Full:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/10/1073248/-China-Already-Has-100-Million-Electric-Vehicles-?via=search