[Marxism] "A Separation" Buried Under the Dust of Politics

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Mar 12 07:20:30 MDT 2012

http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/4635/a-separation-buried-under-the-dust-of-politics
"A Separation" Buried Under the Dust of Politics
by Malihe Razazan

“A Separation,” Asghar Farhadi’s Oscar winning film, gave Iranians
a reason to come together and celebrate this moment, which could
have potentially taken the focus away from war and nuclear
program. The media on both sides, however, missed the moment.

On Sunday, 26 February, Asghar Farhadi began his acceptance speech
by greeting “the good people of my homeland,” and saying:

     “many Iranians all over the world are watching us and I
imagine them to be very happy. They are happy not just because of
an important award or a film or filmmaker, but because at the time
when talk of war, intimidation and aggression is exchanged between
politicians, the name of their country Iran is spoken here through
her glorious culture, a rich and ancient culture that has been
hidden under the heavy dust of politics.”

(clip)