[Marxism] 400, 000 trade unionists to canvass door to door for Obama?

Jonathan Flanders jonathan.flanders at verizon.net
Mon Mar 12 21:13:30 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 17:06 -0800, Eli Stephens wrote:
> I don't get this. You mean before this ruling, unions couldn't
> organize their members to go door to door (any door) to campaign? What
> law was preventing them?

Yes, this was prohibited.

Jon Flanders

http://congressionalresearch.com/97-618/document.php?study=The+Use+of
+Labor+Union+Dues+for+Political+Purposes+A+Legal+Analysis

Labor Union Political Activity Under the Federal
Election Campaign Act of 1971, as Amended

Generally, political activities by labor unions in federal elections are
prohibited.7 First, the Labor Management Relations Act of 1947
prohibited labor union8 contributions to federal election campaigns.
Later, the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971, as amended, (FECA),
generally continued this broad prohibition of labor union activities and
funds in federal elections.

 However, the FECA provided for three broad exemptions to this general
prohibition of labor union political activities in federal elections:
(1) communications by a labor organization directed at its members
or their families on any subject: (2) non-partisan voter registration
and get-out-the- vote activities by a labor organization which are
directed to its members or their families: and (3) the establishment and
administration of a political action committee or separate segregated
fund (commonly known as a PAC) for the purpose of the solicitation of
contributions to such fund for political purposes.9 Generally, any other
type of political activity by labor unions in federal elections is
prohibited under the FECA, and labor union contributions and
expenditures concerning federal elections outside these exceptions are
prohibited.