[Marxism] Looking for, of all things, a Kristof column

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Mar 17 18:17:02 MDT 2012

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 18:55:24 +0200 Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com>
writes:

> I'm trying to relocate something I recently read by the New York
> Times' Nicholas Kristof, in which he sought to justify his focus on
> foreign do-gooders in conflict zones, rather than the people who
> actually live there. As I recall, he blamed it on the readers - he
> said that's just what they want to see. And he's probably even
> telling
> the truth about that.
>
> Does this ring a bell for anyone? Any help will be tremendously
> appreciated.

I think this column might be the one that you're thinking about:

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/29/a-postscript-on-diy-aid/

"(Frankly, I always worry that a focus on Sudan and Eastern Congo and
other particularly troubled countries leads to a misperception that all
of Africa is a mess, a view that is not only unfair but also hurts
investment and tourism.) Then again,  I’m writing for a mostly American
audience, and I’m writing not about development as such but about
Americans doing work in development. And the truth is that it’s already
extraordinarily difficult to get readers to focus on needs half a world
away; one way to do so, is to use Americans as bridge characters. Without
them, even fewer people will focus on these issues."

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant
www.foxymath.com
Learn or Review Basic Math