[Marxism] Left Forum 2012

Manuel Barrera mtomas3 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 14:14:14 MDT 2012

So, the ISO invented the Internet, too?"Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right...." indeed; rather ambidextrous of you.

However, more to the point, there IS a need for a new version of the "State and Revolution" and "What is to be done?"That, the traditional Marxist groups, no matter how "young" they may be, seem to cling to the past so militantly is a testament to their outsider status--irrespective whether individuals in those groups--do "good work". Left Social Forum . . .reminds me of left cocktail parties we sometimes held when we were organizing for defense of political rights or to support AIM leaders against repression; great analyses, indeed, but they were still cocktail parties.

I would be interested in writings that have improved upon and focused on the current nature of the capitalist state and the tasks of revolutionaries; something that would perhaps have the flavor of a Camejo, but in the language and data of the 21st century. Somehow, I think it would have been what Marx, Engels, Lenin, and perhaps Trotsky might wish for us to do rather than to "consult" their extraordinary, but certainly dated, contributions. Do marxist groups really have nothing new to say? Are "we" really going to let the Krugmans tell us about how great Obama's healthcare program is or how bad the economy is? Are we going to rely on the Sachs' finally to "catch on" that capitalism really isn't about making things better? Are we going to let the Chomsky's be the ones to lead the discourse on the nature of Israel and what is best for the Palestinian people? Are all these "good enough" for a revolutionary working class perspective if we just make sure to urge emerging revolutionaries to consult Capital, State & Revolution, and In Defense of Marxism every once in a while?

Oh, and by the way, it might be useful to start with the nature of capitalist regimes like Syria and the previous (and current) Libya. You know, because it is the Arab masses who are leading our struggle now and it is the degenerate--even by their standards--imperialist hegemons that are striving so hard to prevent our working class sisters and brothers in the Arab world from  winning. OWS took much of its cue from the Arab Spring. Hadn't "we" ought to reflect on it and figure out how to bring Marxism to our time?