[Marxism] Left Forum 2012

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Mar 19 15:16:15 MDT 2012

On 3/19/12 4:03 PM, Lenin's Tomb wrote:

> I believe you've been quite critical of certain elements in the Occupy
> movement, notably the Black Bloc. Not to labour a point or start a new
> debate, but some people would say that your critique was greatly
> disproportionate to the problem, if more restrained than the shrill
> Hedges piece which prompted it. But it is just to say that one can have
> a legitimate or at least arguable beef with elements of Occupy, or with
> certain tendencies in it, or with certain 'lines' that come to dominate,
> or with some ideological lacunae (etc etc) without being a sworn enemy
> of the Occupy movement. Which is to say in other words that your point
> is rather cheap and you should consider it beneath you.

Why is it cheap to describe recommendations to the Occupy movement to
read State and Revolution pointless? I would say that we need to engage
with contemporary reality and not consult sacred texts as if we were
Talmudic scholars. When I write about the black bloc, I never cite
Lenin. I simply say that, for example, the German autonomists were wrong
when they threw buckets of shit into a restaurant that they considered
"Schicki-Micki".