[Marxism] Latinos and "whiteness"

Kathleen McCook klmccook at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 18:46:18 MDT 2012

There are 19 million people in Florida. 3 million are Black; 4 million are
Latino. Of the Latinos there are a million Cubans, over a million of other
Hispanic heritage (like Zimmerman, Peruvian), about 600K Mexican and 800K
Puerto Rican.

I am not sure what you might mean by "upper crust" Hispanics. Florida has a
great diversity of people with roots in Latin-American and the islands. We
also have a significant migrant population..last weekend just a few miles
east on the 1-4 corridor from Sanford a rally was held to gain justice for
migrant workers. You can not easily characterize the Latino population.

However, as to the white/black issue --the census offers the choice of
Hispanic/White or Hispanic/ Black. It is the person's choice, not the
police. See Gates' Black in Latin America for reasons this is not a simple
question.

--Kathleen de la Peña McCook