[Marxism] Left Forum 2012

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Mar 20 10:05:18 MDT 2012

On 3/20/2012 11:51 AM, aaron s. amaral wrote:
> Louis, the idea that the only place to "have a say" is in your electronic
> sandbox is another piece of nonsense. The ISO (and other Marxists within
> and outside organised formations) are actively and deeply engaged in
> debates inside the movement, and are regularly publishing materials,
> participating in panels etc. on the movement.

I am aware of that. It is only forums like this that you have
mixed feelings about. They require leftists to speak for
themselves rather than spout the party line, something that
clearly inconveniences you.

> What I think is really being manifest is the somewhat self-aggrandized
> frustration that that the ISO hasnt responded with a specific strategic
> answer to Pham Bihn's call for the organised left to liquidate and join him
> in his networking efforts.

I should mention that Binh got a copy of a *long* diatribe against
him mostly and me less so--as well as it should be--written for
the ISO preconvention discussion. He is too busy to respond to it
and I see no reason to defend my views on party-building in a
debate with people whose minds are made up. And even if their
minds were changed in a debate with me, their "democratic
centralism" would prevent them from admitting so.

> My assessment, as an ISO member outside of the elected leadership, is that
> a response would be more likely if it didnt necessitate engagement with a
> series of patently ridicoulous historical assertions about the movement and
> our activity within it; assertions which just serve to reinforce the idea
> that the authors are distant from what is really going on in
> the movement

The issue is not whether you are "distant" or not. Let me remind
you of what the issues are. I took great exception to Sam Farber's
talk that was patronizingly scholastic and even more so to
Radkhika Desai's 15 minute diatribe against "petty bourgeois
neo-Proudhonism". She may be a respected scholar but her talk was
utter bullshit.