[Marxism] The heat is on

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Mar 20 13:30:18 MDT 2012

http://www.thenation.com/article/166917/90-degrees-winter-what-climate-change-looks

90 Degrees in Winter: This Is What Climate Change Looks Like
March 20, 2012

by Bill McKibben

The National Weather Service is kind of the anti-Mike Daisey, a
just-the-facts operation that grinds on hour after hour, day after
day. It’s collected billions of records (I’ve seen the vast vaults
where early handwritten weather reports from observers across the
country are stored in endless rows of ledgers and files) on
countless rainstorms, blizzards, and pleasant summer days. So the
odds that you could shock the NWS are pretty slim.

Beginning in mid-March, however, its various offices began issuing
bulletins that sounded slightly shaken. “There’s extremes in
weather, but seeing something like this is impressive and
unprecedented,” Chicago NWS meteorologist Richard Castro said.
“It’s extraordinarily rare for climate locations with 100+ year
long periods of records to break records day after day after day,”
the office added in an official statement.

It wasn’t just Chicago, of course. A huge swath of the nation
simmered under bizarre heat. International Falls, MN, the “icebox
of the nation,” broke its old temperature records—by 22 degrees,
which according to weather historians may be the largest margin
ever for any station with a century’s worth of records. Winner,
South Dakota reached 94 degrees on the second-to-last day of
winter. That’s in the Dakotas, two days before the close of
winter. Jeff Masters, founder of WeatherUnderground, the web’s
go-to site for meteorological information, watched an eerie early
morning outside his Michigan home and wrote “this is not the
atmosphere I grew up with,” a fact confirmed later that day when
the state recorded the earliest F-3 strength tornado in its
history. Other weathermen were more…weathermanish. Veteran
Minneapolis broadcaster Paul Douglas, after noting that Sunday’s
low temperature in Rochester broke the previous record high,
blogged “this is OFF THE SCALE WEIRD even for Minnesota.”

It’s hard to overstate how impossible this weather is—when you
have nearly a century and a half of records, they should be hard
to break, much less smash. But this is like Barry Bonds on
steroids if his steroids were on steroids, an early season
outbreak of heat completely without precedent in its scale and
spread. I live in Vermont, where we should be starting to slowly
thaw out—but as the heat moved steadily east ski areas shut down
and golf courses opened.

And truth be told, it felt pretty good. Most people caught in the
torrid zones probably reacted pretty much like President Obama:
“It gets you a little nervous about what is happening to global
temperatures,” he told the audience assembled at a fundraiser at
Tyler Perry’s Atlanta mansion (records were falling in Georgia
too). “On the other hand I have really enjoyed the nice weather.”

Anyone thinking about the seasons ahead was at least as
ambivalent, and most were scared. Here are a few of the things
that could happen with staggering warmth like this early in the year:

The plants that have budded out prematurely (there’s fruit budding
across the nation’s apple belt) can be easily killed by the
freezes that will come if temperatures revert to anything like
normal. (Frost is common here, for instance, late into May).

The soils left exposed by the early retreat of snow will dry out
much earlier in the growing season, raising dramatically the risk
of drought

Forests dry out too. In recent years three-quarters of the big
fires across the West have come in years when snow melted well
ahead of schedule. Across the East the next six or eight weeks,
before trees are fully leafed out, will be scary for forest
rangers unless we get heavy rains.

One could go on: mild winters and early springs allow ticks to
spread into new places, carrying disease. Reservoirs can start
evaporating early. We see wickedly strong storms along the frontal
boundaries of these record-setting zones. But the real fears are
the things we can’t anticipate, simply because we are moving into
uncharted territory. We know that we can make a normal seasonal
cycle, with variations within a typical range, work—we know,
because we’ve done it as long as we’ve been here. But we’ve never
seen anything like what we’re seeing this week.

Except, of course, in the models that the climatologists have been
printing out on their supercomputers for the last two decades.
This is what climate change looks like, just like last year’s new
record for multi-billion dollar weather disasters is what climate
change looks like. As Masters put it in a recent blog post,
notable for its understatement, “it is very unlikely that the
intensity of the heat would have been so great unless we were in a
warming climate.”

One could make some sad jokes about the coincidence of Chicago’s
record heat with the Illinois primary, or with the president’s
tour this week of drilling rigs to convince Americans that he’s a
great champion of fossil fuel (with a visit to a solar production
facility thrown in for good measure). But the power of our
politics seems puny this week compared to the power of the carbon
we’ve unleashed for a century.

Still, one’s compelled to make a witness and put up a fight. On
May 5, all around the world, 350.org is organizing a day for
people to testify to the impacts of climate change. There will be
Pakistanis forced from their homes in the worst flooding the
country’s ever seen, and Somalians dealing with a drought horrible
even by the standards of the Horn of Africa. Thais, who watched
floods do damage last fall equal to 18 percent of the country’s
GDP [1], and El Salvadorans who watched 15 years worth of
development wash away in a week of record rains. Lots of Americans
were already planning to join in—Texans who watched drought kill
half a billion trees there last year, Vermonters who saw the state
damn near wash away in the wake of Irene. But now they’ll have
more company.
Source URL:
http://www.thenation.com/article/166917/90-degrees-winter-what-climate-change-looks

Links: