[Marxism] Left Forum 2012

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 14:12:17 MDT 2012

Manuel: "Oh, and by the way, it might be useful to start with the nature of
capitalist regimes like Syria and the previous (and current) Libya. You
know, because it is the Arab masses who are leading our struggle now and it
is the degenerate--even by their standards--imperialist hegemons that are
striving so hard to prevent our working class sisters and brothers in the
Arab world from  winning."

Um, is there a different Libya and Syria than the ones I'm familiar with?
Because in the real world where I live, the imperialist hegemons bombed the
Gaddafi government out of existence, while in Syria, they're doing the best
to repeat the process while limiting themselves (for the moment) to
supplying arms and waging economic and political war on the regime. Surely
if they were trying to "prevent our working class sisters and brothers in
the Arab world from winning" they would be propping up Gaddafi and Assad,
not destroying or trying to destroy them.

Eli Stephens
 Left I on the News
 http://lefti.blogspot.com