[Marxism] Left Forum 2012

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Mar 20 14:32:27 MDT 2012

On 3/20/2012 4:12 PM, Eli Stephens wrote:

> Surely if they were trying to "prevent our working class sisters and brothers in
> the Arab world from winning" they would be propping up Gaddafi and Assad,
> not destroying or trying to destroy them.

Well, that's what they did with Gaddafi--at least the Italian
ruling class. Maybe in PSL terms, Berlusconi was an anti-imperialist?

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Italian-newspapers-reveal-by-Ted-Newcomen-110226-74.html

Italian newspapers reveal how Berlusconi's government has been
arming Gaddafi

By Ted Newcomen
February 26, 2011

Unlike their craven brethren in the "lamestream' US and UK media,
the Italian newspapers have been blowing the whistle on the
Berlusconi government's arms sales to the psychotic Libyan
dictator Moammar Gaddafi who is now using those very same weapons
to murder his own people.

Journalist Fiorenza Sarzanini writing in today's (26th February
2011) edition of the national Corriere Della Sera revealed how
high tech weapons systems, military vehicles, and helicopters have
been supplied by Italian companies in recent years. The list of
exports between 2008 and 2010 includes spare parts for warships &
weapons, materials for bombs, rockets, and missiles.

The information comes from a government report prepared by
security officials in the Italian Ministry of Internal Affairs
which took stock of the current crisis that is attempting to
overthrow the Gaddafi regime. One chapter is even devoted to the
impact that the wider revolt my have on the Italian economy.

Libya ranks in fifth place of the supplier nations to Italy with
about 4.5% of imports and a total estimated exchange between the
two countries of about 12 billion Euros last year. Libya is
Italy's number one supplier of crude oil and third largest
supplier of natural gas.

The list of over 100 Italian companies doing big business with
Libya includes Telecom, Alitalia, Edison and Grimaldi, Visa, and
Saipem.

Other interesting points revealed in the report include news in
May 2009 the company Mbda Italy signed an agreement for 2.5
million Euros for the supply of equipment for torpedoes, bombs,
rockets, and missiles. In October last year, Agusta scored two
contracts for high-tech equipment worth over 70 million Euros and
in November Ota Melara launched negotiations for a weapons systems
of more than 12.7 mm caliber as well as materials, parts,
technical know-how and other equipment. Alenia Aermacchi obtained
a contract for a program of training & updating of the propulsion
& weapons systems of Sf-260 aircraft.

In January Intermarine launched negotiations for a 500 million
Euro contract to supply equipment & software for Libyan warships
and a month later another worth 100 million Euros - at the same
time Oto Melara took a similar amount for other war materials

Only last month Alenia Aermacchi signed a deal for spare parts for
aircraft as other arms companies were negotiating further
contracts worth another 150 million Euros.

American & British "lamestream' media has been very reluctant to
reveal their own government's duplicity in funneling arms to a
madman who is now using them against this own people. Perhaps
Italian journalists just have a conscience, unlike their American
& British colleagues?