[Marxism] Barry Sheppard's Volume 2 on SWP is out

Tom Cod tomcod3 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 22:12:37 MDT 2012

Not to pick a fight on an old issue, but there were people on the
Left, not just PL and Workers World, but also a number of ex-SWPers,
who felt that they and the NAACP took too timid of a line in Boston in
the 1976 which culminated in their "calling off" a planned counter
mobilization against the racists during the summer of 1976, a
capitulation Sam Marcy described as "A Surrender to Racism" in an
article of the same name.  I remember an SWPer screaming at me a
couple years later when I broached the issue, that they had to do this
because there might have been violence.  What if King had called off
the Selma march in 1965?  He knew full well there was going to be
violence.  Then again, he was an historic leader, the SWP sadly, even
in its best period, only having distantly approached that status. And
this coming from a group that claims to represent the legacy of
Malcolm X?  How pathetic.