[Marxism] Barry Sheppard's Volume 2 on SWP is out

David Rowlands davidrrowlands at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 22 07:36:24 MDT 2012

Actually, Tom, I think the record will show that the SWP argued inside the coalition against calling off the march but deferred to the NAACP, which was under enormous pressure from the Democratic Party, who promised to clamp down on the racist street gangs, to do so.  However, when it became clear that this was going to happen, the party did not oppose the NAACP in a public manner, given the relationship of forces.  Perhaps Comrade Bias remembers more of the details concerning this one episode of the Battle of Boston.

All in all, I would say that the NAACP, along with the SWP and many others comported themselves admirably and managed to bring the racist onslaught to at least a draw, which re-affirmed the democratic right of African-American school children to a desegregated education and put a halt to the worst aspects of the terror and violence.  The real heroes, of course, where the Black school children and their parents, who courageously stood their ground.