[Marxism] The Real Me and The Hypothetical Syrian Revolution (Part 2)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Mar 26 07:25:43 MDT 2012

Nine months ago my daughter, Tal Malouhi, a student in high
school, was arrested by one of the branches of the security for
reasons we do not know until this moment and I do not know
anything about her fate. Sir, I knocked on the doors of all the
security agencies and the presidential palace and all the official
channels possible in order to be assured about my daughter or know
anything about her fate or the cause of her arrest, but to no
avail. Finally, I received a promise from one of the security
authorities that my daughter would be released before the month of
Ramadan starts. But, Ramadan is about to end now and Eid will come
soon after, while our family is still suffering for our lovely
daughter. Mr. President, I cannot describe to you after this
disaster on our family, the amount of suffering caused to all of
us. Your daughter Tal is a smart student and she loves her country
and its people. She writes what comes to her young mind in honesty
and transparency and in line with her age. Sir, We have no one
left for us, but to address you as the father of all the Syrians
in order to save the life of my daughter as she is at a tender age
and does not understand anything in politics. And may you long
live for our country.

---

Letter to Bashar al-Assad from Ahed al-Malouhi, September 2010

In February 2011, Ahed al-Malouhi found out her daughter’s fate.
Tal was sentenced to five years in prison by the State Security
Court on charges of “disclosing information to a foreign country,”
or treason, after being detained since 27 December 2009. Her
crime? Blogging poems about Palestine.

Tal was seventeen when she was arrested becoming the youngest
known prisoner of conscience in the world. In addition to enduring
over two years in Assad’s dungeons, the innocent girl from a
conservative family in Homs has been slandered by society and her
reputation has been ripped to shreds.

Tal blogged in Arabic, under her own name. Sometimes I wonder, if
she had known her fate, would she have chosen a pseudonym?

full:
http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/4788/the-real-me-and-the-hypothetical-syrian-revolution