[Marxism] Mennonites usurp indigenous peoples in Paraguay

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 14:15:19 MDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Charley Earp <charley63 at mailworks.org>wrote:

Just so you know, "Jesus Radicals" was founded by Anarchist-leaning
> Mennonites, and I actually presented at one of their first conferences on
> Anarchism and the Bible.

I'm vaguely familiar with the project and know a few people who've been
involved in it over the years. They're mostly Catholic Workers, though. (Of
course, as the old saw goes, this implies no particular degree of either
Catholicism or work on their parts!)

> A similar blog, "Young Anabaptist Radicals"
> http://young.anabaptistradicals.org/ has also been very critical of
> establishment Mennos, but is more left-liberal than Anarchist.

I initially mistook that for this blog by an old acquaintance (
http://youngleftandmennonite.wordpress.com) who's still in the game,
although his blog appears not to be. I used to know a bunch of the
Lancaster SDS kids (http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/09/23/4047),
who were predominantly anarchist Mennonites. Glancing at your link, I see
that a few of them have taken up residence there - but not, one hopes,
shifted from radicalism to liberalism.

> The "Historic Peace Churches" are a mixed bag, for sure, but I continue my
> affiliation with Quakers, despite my fairly advanced apostasy (god who?)
> and their bourgeois privilege, because I've found it hard as hell to make a
> genuine friends in any left organization and I've tried Solidarity,
> Platypus, FRSO, DSA. SPUSA, etc.
>
> Maybe I'm just socially awkward and need a patina of religion to feel
> loyalty to a group. I'm not even a college graduate, which is really
> unusual among Quakers, who aren't known for proletarian membership.

Who am I to judge? I'm some kind of an Episcopalian (or, as I hasten to add
in Gaza, "from the same church as Desmond Tutu").

Waziyatawin's particular criticism of the "peace churches" stems from some
of their adherents seeing all kinds of radical significance in their
refusal to bear arms in colonial projects, although this has never stopped
them from making use of lands ethnically cleansed by others. In that sense,
they're sort of akin to the hippie kibbutzim in '48 Palestine.

--
lytlað."