[Marxism] Marx at 193

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Mar 29 08:28:36 MDT 2012

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v34/n07/john-lanchester/marx-at-193
Marx at 193
John Lanchester

In trying to think what Marx would have made of the world today,
we have to begin by stressing that he was not an empiricist. He
didn’t think that you could gain access to the truth by gleaning
bits of data from experience, ‘data points’ as scientists call
them, and then assembling a picture of reality from the fragments
you’ve accumulated. Since this is what most of us think we’re
doing most of the time it marks a fundamental break between Marx
and what we call common sense, a notion that was greatly disliked
by Marx, who saw it as the way a particular political and class
order turns its construction of reality into an apparently neutral
set of ideas which are then taken as givens of the natural order.
Empiricism, because it takes its evidence from the existing order
of things, is inherently prone to accepting as realities things
that are merely evidence of underlying biases and ideological
pressures. Empiricism, for Marx, will always confirm the status
quo. He would have particularly disliked the modern tendency to
argue from ‘facts’, as if those facts were neutral chunks of
reality, free of the watermarks of history and interpretation and
ideological bias and of the circumstances of their own production.

(clip)