[Marxism] Battle for the soul of Occupy/Academics and Occupy

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Wed May 2 20:57:27 MDT 2012

This is precisely my response, too.  The stuff on academe is basically
harmless, save that it reinforces the delusion from the 1960s that
universities are the most advanced and forward-thinking institutions
in the society, dragging the rest of the dullards reluctantly into the
future.

On the other hand, the unions here have taken point for the Democrats
in trying to coopt Occupy.  They were never serious about building it
as an independent force.  That was obvious when you look at the
numbers the unions could have brought out if it was for something they
actually cared about . . . like a birthday banquet for Joe Biden or
something.  It has taken no more than the shadow of the trade union
leadership to bring the potential of the movement here to a rather sad
quagmire.

And "the unions" have been as useful in terms of defending spaces or
protecting the arrested as a particularly inert pet rock.

It's not over, of course, by a long shot, because the issues haven't
gone away and the grievances are only going to get worse, but I don't
expect things to change greatly until the election's over or some new
disaster hits the economy.

ML