[Marxism] Green nazis

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Fri May 4 18:46:41 MDT 2012

On Thu, 3 May 2012 15:03:02 -0700 (PDT) Sun Eagle <suneagle79 at yahoo.com>
writes:
> Rule #1: YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a
> message.
>

> I find it significant that those historians of the Holocaust that
> make the case for the existence of a Nazi philosophy are either
> Jewish Americans, such as Coonz, or Israeli historians, such as
> Yehuda Bauer, who once wrote: "Hitler, Himmler et all had a
> philosophy---the re-drawing of the racial map of Europe. It was a
> crazy philosophy, but a philosophy nevertheless." In other words,
> the victims, and children of the victims, of the Nazi genocide grasp
> that there was a philosophical core to Nazism---biopolitics---and
> not a jerry-built contraception of crazy ideas.

I think that one would be hard put to find too many ideas that were
specifically peculiar to the Nazis.  What you call biopolitics was
widespread and embraced by people with wide variety of political
ideologies.  Up to WW II, eugenics was popular among both intellectuals
and public officials across the political spectrum, and that includes
involuntary sterlization which was widely practiced in much of the USA as
well as in social democratic Scandinavia.  In the USA, the Supreme Court
in  the Buck v. Bell case in 1927 upheld the constitutionality of forced
sterlization of the so-called unfit.  The majority opinion was authored
by the very notable justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr, who wrote:

"We have seen more than once that the public welfare may call upon the
best citizens for their lives. It would be strange if it could not call
upon those who already sap the strength of the State for these lesser
sacrifices, often not felt to be such by those concerned, to prevent our
being swamped with incompetence. It is better for all the world, if
instead of waiting to execute degenerate offspring for crime, or to let
them starve for their imbecility, society can prevent those who are
manifestly unfit from continuing their kind. The principle that sustains
compulsory vaccination is broad enough to cover cutting the Fallopian
tubes."

And famously concluded that,  "Three generations of imbeciles are
enough".

Notions of so-called scientific racism were also widespread throughout
Western countries.  In the US, psychologists and other researchers sought
to prove "scientifically" the inferiority of African-Americans and other
ethnic groups.

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant
www.foxymath.com