[Marxism] Western intervention in Syria?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 9 14:18:11 MDT 2012

On 5/9/2012 3:15 PM, Blue Pilgrim wrote:
> I've been going with
> http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=home and
> http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/ as sources for news and
> commentary on Syria. Al Jazeera, and, for some reason I don't
> know, Uruknet, has been spreading the western propaganda about Syria.
>
> Good article from http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2012/1096/op8.htm at
> http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article31253.htm
>
> The West's Greatest Fear
> Western attempts to destroy Syria have not been going to plan,
> revealing that what the West fears most is a peaceful resolution
> to the crisis
> By Dan Glazebrook

 From Glazebrook:

The opposition groups are becoming increasingly aware that their
best chance of meaningful change is not through a military fight
that they will almost certainly lose, and which will get them
killed in the process, along with their losing their support and
credibility, but through negotiations and participation in the
reform process and the dialogue that the government has offered.

This prospect -- of an end to the civil war and a negotiated peace
that brings about a reform process without destabilising the
country -- has led to desperation amongst the imperialist powers.
Despite their claims to the contrary, a stable Syrian-led process
is the last thing they want, as it leaves open the possibility of
Syria remaining a strong, independent, anti-imperialist state --
exactly the possibility they had sought to eliminate.

---

"but through negotiations and participation in the reform process
and the dialogue that the government has offered."

onion.com?

"a strong, independent, anti-imperialist state"

Mad Magazine?