[Marxism] Harper's publisher invokes Marx in faux commencement speech to Columbia grads

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 16 11:11:11 MDT 2012

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2012/05/hbc-90008620

Columbia College Class Day Keynote Speech

By John R. MacArthur

President Bollinger, Provost Coatsworth, Vice President Dirks,
Dean Valentini, members of the class of 2012 and their parents,
honored guests.

I realize that many among you are disappointed that I am not the
president of the United States. I want you to know that I share
your disappointment.

There was a time when I harbored ambitions of becoming
president—to fulfill the dream shared by so many young
Americans—so that I might leave my mark on history, bring peace
where there was war, free the unjustly imprisoned, outmaneuver the
leaders of other great nations, bask in the admiration and
affection of my fellow citizens, and have my pick of college and
university commencement venues.

But then came a moment of profound disillusionment, a day of
reckoning that changed the course of my life. It was sometime in
the spring of 1975, late at night, and I was seated in the
basement lounge of Carman Hall, studying for my second round of
final exams as a Columbia College freshman. I was wrestling with a
book—The Marx–Engels Reader, edited by Robert C. Tucker—but to be
more precise I was wrestling with a particular text within the
anthology: Part I of The German Ideology, which Karl Marx
apparently wrote alone, without the help of his collaborator
Friedrich Engels.

At eighteen years of age, with the Cold War still very much in
play, I was certainly aware of Marx’s significance in history and
contemporary politics. I also knew from Joseph Rothschild, my
wonderful, cheerfully intimidating Contemporary Civilization
professor from the previous semester, that I had better pay close
attention to texts written by Germans. Rothschild was a Jewish
refugee from Hitler’s Germany, and he understood quite viscerally
the power of words written in German, even German translated into
English. So I was trying, really trying to understand, but The
German Ideology, Part I, was more than I had bargained for. For
those of you who have read it, I don’t have to explain that this
wasn’t one of Marx’s greatest hits. All those references to Young
Hegelians, Old Hegelians (there didn’t seem to be any middle-aged
Hegelians)—I had to keep referring back to Tucker’s introduction
to reassure myself that this really was the best way to understand
the development of Marx’s “ materialist conception of history.”
Not even published until 1932, this text, Tucker explained, was,
and I quote, “particularly valuable and important to the student
of Marxist thought because Marx never again set down a
comprehensive statement of his theory of history at such length
and in such detail.” Be that as it may, there was no relief from
Marx’s bulky prose: I had to face his text alone, if not exactly
man to man, then callow man to great man. And I found myself wanting.