[Marxism] Harper's publisher invokes Marx in faux commencement speech to Columbia grads

guava tree theguavatree at gmail.com
Wed May 16 12:48:06 MDT 2012

Harpers was my gateway drug to radical thought as my college
roommate's parents subscribed to about 12 magazines for us. Harpers
was unfamiliar, but the most interesting of all them. a closeted
marxist perspective I guess, with an emphasis on strong writing,
literary, artistic history and potentials.

their most recent cover story is interesting and i just blogged about
it this morning, it has to do with Zoos and Madison Grant, the
eugenicist conservationist. it has that type of magazine writing style
that adumbrates rather than articulates, a frustrating style that
probably led me to the directness of Marx, although there is much of
interest and the literary, discursive style opens up many
possibilities. this style, like in the New Yorker, you know what I
mean, right?  goes something like

"I met Barny Turek at an Arbys on Route 13, across from a miasmic
swamp. He was already seated and was half finished with his
steak-sandwich. Wiping BBQ sauce from his thick moustache with a
yellow napkin he grasped in a large paw, he stared at me with eyes I
could only half make out through his Transitions sunglasses that were
currently darkening as the sun broke behind a dirty cloud. "So I heard
you're writing an article on dry-cleaning!"--" Etc, etc.

Personality and biography are indeed interesting and necessary, but
are of course social forces, economics, class, history, etc, etc
,
Anyhow, here is my post on the Harper's story:

http://guavapuree.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/madison-grant-and-green-eugenics/

--
http://guavapuree.wordpress.com