[Marxism] Fighting job cuts at Sydney Uni - a rank and file perspective

En Passant with John Passant en.passant at bigpond.com
Thu May 17 05:56:48 MDT 2012

The "No job cuts" campaign at the University of Sydney has seen the biggest mobilisation of staff in years writes Alma Torlakovic, the chair of the campaign committee and one of the general staff of the university. The experience we've had at Sydney University shows how quickly the mood among workers can shift. From a place that's often been respectable and quiet, we've seen a serious and defiant campaign emerge within a few short weeks. Union membership grew as the campaign spread and new layers of members were involved in activity. In a period where workers across the world are facing austerity and attacks on their living standards, strong unions will need to be rebuilt everywhere to face the coming challenges. The campaign at Sydney University has been a step in the right direction.

See more  at:

http://enpassant.com.au/2012/05/17/fighting-job-cuts-at-sydney-uni-a-rank-and-file-perspective/