[Marxism] The End of the Jewish Left

Jeff Goodwin jgoodwin.nyu at gmail.com
Fri May 18 11:04:21 MDT 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Dennis Brasky <dmozart1756 at gmail.com>wrote:

> The conditions that Jews faced when
> they came to the US as the penniless, despised "other" radicalized them.
> Today's social reality bourgeoisifies them. This more than loyalty to
> Zionism is why leftism no longer resonates so strongly with Jews. I'm sure
> that young Jews today are a higher percentage of the left than of the
> Jewish population as a whole, but nothing approaching the percentage of the
> 1920s - 1940s. There is every reason to expect this trend to continue.

I agree. Alas, like most other groups that fall mainly in the professional
occupations, Jews are MUCH less likely to support Republicans than
working-class Americans, including union members. Very few Jews are
leftists, that is, but a greater proportion are conventionally "liberal"
(as the term is used in the U.S.) than are even unionized working-class
Americans.

Jeff G.