[Marxism] Antarsya statement and IV article on Greek situation

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Sun May 20 01:01:23 MDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Louis Proyect" <lnp3 at panix.com>

> On 5/19/12 8:52 PM, Michael Karadjis wrote:
>> The ANTARSYA declaration of May 14 states among other things:
>>
>> "The left must have as its target the conquest of political power and
>> government power by a subversive political and social movement.
>
> Yes, a subversive political and social movement. That's the ticket.
>
> Sigh...

Actually that's just bad translation from the Greek original, though
hard to be sure since for some reason Antarsya still hasn't updated its
site with this declaration, which apparently was made on May 14.

My assumption is that "subversive" here really means something more like
"revolutionary"; I assume it is a bad translation from the word
"anatreptikos" (ανατρεπτικός), which is the adjective of "anatropi"
(ανατροπή), which is the word the last letter of the name "Antarsya"
stands for, meaning "overturn" or "overthrow" - in other words they are
simply trying to say their movement wants full "rupture" with capitalism
and its state, not merely reform via the state.