[Marxism] Fwd: Greece: Statement on the attack of former minister Yannis Papathanasiou against the newspaper Revolution on state TV

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon May 21 11:18:17 MDT 2012

http://www.marxist.com/greece-statement-on-attack-of-papathanasiou-on-revolution.htm

     Greece: Statement on the attack of former minister Yannis
     Papathanasiou against the newspaper Revolution on state TV

<http://www.marxist.com/greece-statement-on-attack-of-papathanasiou-on-revolution.htm>

Written by Stamatis Karayannopoulos Monday, 21 May 2012

*The attempt of the ruling class to terrorise the working masses has
escalated. The majority of it appears determined to attempt to
marginalise their political enemy. The “media”, subservient to the big
business, broadcast daily propaganda of a civil war type. The Marxist
paper, /Revolution/ is the latest target, being publicly attacked by New
Democracy MP Papathanasiou.*

In the ruling class’ dirty war of propaganda, SYRIZA is being presented
as a “great national danger”. It is argued that if SYRIZA is elected to
government, then Greece will automatically return to the Drachma (Mr
Samaras and Mr Venizelos repeated this in their latest statements), the
country will descend into chaos with gangs of immigrants preying on the
cities (Mr Chrysohoides statement) and a civil war will break out
(statement of the director of the newspaper /Kathimerini/, Mr Alexis
Papahelas).

The same people who last week, like common political crooks, were
inviting SYRIZA to enter a coalition government, or vote in support of
one to “negotiate the Memorandum,” now publicly declare war on the
supposedly “nationaly hazardous” political trends that exist in the
party. It is a great honour for us that in this propaganda war of the
ruling class, since Thursday the newspaper of the Marxists of
Synaspismos and SYRIZA /Revolution/, is featured prominently.

In last night's broadcast on the television channel NET entitled
“Elections 2012”, the discussion was heated, as is customary these days.
The MP representing SYRIZA on the panel, comrade Zoi Konstantopoulou,
was attacked by the representatives of New Democracy (ND), PASOK and
Democratic Left (DIMAR). A representative of the bourgoise demagogic
party Independent Greeks, well-known lawyer Mr Kapernaros, once again
attempted to take advantage of the political prestige of SYRIZA by
saying that “his party is open to collaborations with all the
anti-memorandum forces” (meaning Syriza). This was the moment for a
dirty attack. Former Minister of Finance and MP for ND, Mr
Papathanasiou, from a folder that he was given by the press office of
his party, pulled out a copy of the newspaper /Revolution/ and addressed
himself to Mr Kapernaros. He asked, rhetorically: “Do you know with whom
you are going to co-operate? I'll tell you right now!” Then he started
reading extracts from the positions of the newspaper with the look of a
military judge: “Repeal of repressive state forces and replacing them
with a popular militia, which would be under the control of the mass
organizations of the workers”. “These are not my positions”, continued
the Minister. “The members of SYRIZA who issue the newspaper
/Revolution/, wrote these things in their newspaper”. There was turmoil
amongst the panel, until the moderator of the show was quick to state
that “obviously this is not the official positions of SYRIZA, but the
views of one of the trends of it”.

The editorial team of /Revolution/ publicly welcomes Mr Papathanassiou’s
attack. The editorial team recognizes the increased interest of the
ruling class for the ideas and the program of the Marxists, who are an
integral and organic part of SYRIZA. We take the attack as a compliment
and declare that we will escalate our efforts to increase this interest,
and in the coming years to turn interest into anxiety and fear. The
political representatives of the banks, the ship-owners and the other
parasites of capital have every reason to fear and worry about the ideas
and positions of the Marxists. Those who have no reason to worry are the
ordinary people to whom this black propaganda of the ruling class is
targeted. Only the working class and the poor masses can benefit from
the ideas and program of Marxism, including, in particular, the petty
bourgeois strata of the cities and the villages.

It is necessary here to recall that through their struggles over the
last two years, the broad masses have made two indisputably central
demands: decent living conditions and true democracy.

Regarding the first demand, Mr Papathanassiou and his colleagues, have
shown for decades that they can only offer mass poverty and
unemployment. The real terror for the people is not the Marxists but the
anarchy of the capitalist market. The programme of Marxism is the only
that can guarantee a decent life and work for all, through a democratic,
centrally planned economy. Especially for the petty bourgeoisie of town
and village, a democratically planned economy can provide relief from
unsustainable taxes, forgiving of usurious debt, cheap credit and relief
from profiteering middlemen.

People like Mr Papathanasiou also have no answer to the demand for
democracy. These politicians are defenders of slavery to the Troika with
its commissioners and they are the political heads of the murderous riot
police who started a chemical warfare against the people. The hysterical
reaction of the minister to our demand for democratic control, by the
mass organisations of the workers, of the institutions responsible for
the public order, reveals the deeply authoritarian character of his
class. We will remind him that the demand for a popular militia was a
demand of his own class at the time of its historical youth, placed high
on the program of the great bourgeois revolutions in order to combat the
oppressive institutions of feudal absolutism. But times have changed -
especially in Greece with its backward capitalism and heroic,
revolutionary, communist traditions. Today, the class of Mr
Papathanasiou needs a whole army of informers and armoured sadistic
mercenaries in order to be kept in power.

Any honest ordinary working person can understand what the real danger
is. The choice is between the mercenary forces of repression of the
people that defend any Mr Papathanassiou, and militias, bodies of
fighting workers, which the Marxists argue for. Especially for those who
inhaled tons of asphyxiating chemicals in Syntagma Square in the past
two years, we think that the choice is not difficult at all.

So, Mr. Papathanasiou, continue the dirty propaganda war with your
colleagues. We, the Marxists, and the tens of thousands of activists of
SYRIZA and the Left, are not afraid. We are prepared for the public
trials that you are preparing to judge us. We welcome them, because they
will enable us to explain our ideas and to win, through them, more and
more of the people who suffer under the boot of your power.

In this war, we, the Marxist rebels, have with us the tide of History
and the honest and unerring judgment of millions of workers. The time of
their lawful hatred and revenge is approaching, and it will marginalise
your dirty propaganda tricks and we will carry out our program, the
program of the revolution which so much scares you.

Stamatis Karayannopoulos - editor of the newspaper /Revolution/ and the
magazine /Marxist Voice
<http://www.marxist.com/weblinks/europe/marxistiki-foni.htm>/