[Marxism] Libya, Africa and Africom

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Fri May 25 12:42:41 MDT 2012

Since I know all those supporters of the Libyan "revolution" won't be
posting this here, I guess it's up to me:

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/05/25/libya-africa-and-africom

One excerpt:

"It is no coincidence that barely a month after the fall of Tripoli ­ and in
the same month Gaddafi was murdered (October 2011) ­ the US announced it was
sending troops
<http://www.johnpilger.com/articles/the-son-of-africa-claims-a-continents-cr
own-jewels>  to no less than four more African countries ­ the Central
African Republic, Uganda, South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
AFRICOM have now announced an unprecedented fourteen major joint military
exercises <http://www.africom.mil/getArticle.asp?art=7673>  in African
countries for 2012. The military re-conquest of Africa is rolling steadily
on.

"None of this would have been possible whilst Gaddafi was still in power. As
founder of the African Union, its biggest donor, and its one-time elected
Chairman, he wielded serious influence on the continent. It was partly
thanks to him that the US was forced to establish AFRICOM¹s HQ in Stuttgart
in Germany when it was established in February 2008, rather than in Africa
itself; he offered cash and investments to African governments who rejected
US requests for bases. Libya under his leadership had an estimated $150
billion of investments in Africa, and the Libyan proposal, backed with
£30billion
<http://www.africanews.it/english/kadhafi%E2%80%99s-africa-the-untold-story-
by-j-p-pougala/>  cash, for an African Union Development Bank would have
seriously reduced African financial dependence on the West. In short,
Gaddafi¹s Libya was the single biggest obstacle to AFRICOM penetration of
the continent."

Eli Stephens
 Left I on the News
 http://lefti.blogspot.com