[Marxism] The Strange Career of Eugene Genovese

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Oct 3 19:41:18 MDT 2012

On Oct 3, 2012, at 6:12 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:

> On 2012-10-03, at 3:37 PM, Shane Mage wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 3, 2012, at 1:33 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:
>>
>> "Aptheker points out that census takers were white and subject to
>> the racial prejudices of the time. If blacks were undercounted, as
>> they certainly were, then attempts to come up with daily caloric
>> intake on a per capita basis will overstate food input."
>>
>> This is a surprisingly (perhaps, considering the source, I should
>> have said *not surprisingly*) stupid argument.  For each slave
>> state, every five slaves counted as three heads towards their
>> percapita representation in the US Congress.  White racist census-
>> takers had every motive to overcount and none at all to undercount.
>
> This was certainly true for purposes of representation. The slave
> states wanted all slaves included in the population base while the
> anti-slave states wanted them excluded. But is my recollection
> correct that the states had the opposite interest with respect to
> taxation, which was substantially based on property...

There was no federal property tax.  The federal revenues came largely
from customs duties, plus some excises.  The "three-fifths" rule deals
with possible "direct taxes"--a poll tax apportioned among the
states.  But there was no such tax.

Shane Mage

  This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it
  always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire,
  kindling in measures and going out in measures.

  Herakleitos of Ephesos