[Marxism] Random House proves its incompetence

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Oct 8 12:20:36 MDT 2012

(These assholes won't print my memoir and pay $3.5 million for what will
most assuredly be the worst piece of crap ever written. Grrrr.)

NY Times October 8, 2012, 10:32 am
Lena Dunham Signs Book Deal for More Than $3.5 Million
By JULIE BOSMAN

Random House has acquired a book by Lena Dunham, the 26-year-old writer,
actor and filmmaker, in one of the most heated auctions of the year.

The debut essay collection, "Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells
You What She's Learned," was hotly pursued by publishers after Ms.
Dunham, the writer and star of the HBO comedy "Girls," circulated a
66-page proposal with color, illustrations and a humor that publishing
executives predicted could produce another best seller like Tina Fey's
blockbuster memoir, "Bossypants."

Bidding climbed past $3.5 million, several publishers who were involved
in the negotiations said. Theresa Zoro, a spokeswoman for Random House,
declined to comment on the advance.

Ms. Dunham chose Random House Publishing Group over the weekend after
meeting with several publishers as late as Friday afternoon. The deal
was negotiated by Gina Centrello, president and publisher of the Random
House Publishing Group. Ms. Dunham was represented by Kimberly
Witherspoon, a literary agent with Inkwell Management.

Susan Kamil, the editor-in-chief and publisher of Random House,
confirmed the acquisition on Monday, saying in a statement, "We're
thrilled to welcome Lena to Random House. Her skill on the page as a
writer is remarkable-fresh, wise, so assured. She is that rare literary
talent that will only grow from strength to strength and we look forward
to helping her build a long career as an author."

Random House described the book as "in the tradition of Helen Gurley
Brown, David Sedaris, and Nora Ephron," offering "frank and funny advice
on everything from sex to eating to traveling to work." Random House
bought U.S. and Canadian rights to the book.

According to the proposal, a copy of which was obtained by the Times,
the book will cover topics like work, friendship, travel, sex, love and
mortality. One chapter is described as "an account of some radically and
hilariously inappropriate ways I have been treated at work/by
professionals because of my age and gender."

Another chapter, titled "Body," reads, "Red lipstick with a sunburn: How
to dress for a business meeting and other hard-earned fashion lessons
from the size 10 who went to the Met Ball."

The essay collection will be edited by Andy Ward, an executive editor at
Random House.

Ms. Dunham said in a statement that she was "thrilled to be working with
and learning from the brilliant minds at Random House, and to be among
their incredible roster of authors. I look forward to digging deep with
Andy and co. to produce the most thoughtful and personal book I can."