[Marxism] Am I a Jew ?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 19:46:12 MDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 2:51 AM, dan <d.koechlin at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

Hi, Joseph. Your question is somewhat disconcerting.
> According to Wikipedia :

But you skipped over this part (under "Etymology"):

"It was only towards the end of the 18th century that the European
merchants and colonists referred collectively to the followers of Indian
religions as Hindus. The term Hinduism was introduced into the English
language in the 19th century to denote the religious, philosophical, and
cultural traditions native to India."

I'm surprised you would find the idea disconcerting, as I understood it to
have been the dominant strain of thought among postcolonial theory types
like Pankaj Mishra and Wendy Doniger for a while:

http://www.newstatesman.com/node/143655
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/books/review/Mishra-t.html

At this point, it seems to be the more or less the conventional wisdom,
albeit with considerable opposition:

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/179424?uid=3738240&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21101300259737
http://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/0195166558.001.0001/acprof-9780195166552

Still, it might be crap. What do I know? Not much, that's for sure, and I
don't really have a dog in the race either.

But your response, claiming that Hinduism certainly exists, and consists of
any number of disparate and contradictory things, make it clear why such
analyses at least have some appeal.

Well Gandhi considered himself a Hindu (and is regarded as a saint by most
> Hindus) and yet he was assassinated by a sectarian Hindu.

I don't know what the significance of that is supposed to be. Christians,
Muslims, etc. knocking off their own coreligionists for sectarian reasons
has been, let's say, not unheard of in history.

Are you claiming that Gandhi, in addition to being a Hindu, was not also an
Indian nationalist? That certainly wouldn't match my understanding of the
INC. ("Ultra-" is your prefix, not mine.)

Hinduism began to exert its influence on Victorian Britain.

And vice versa, even leaving aside the current discussion. I was just
reminded, while glancing at the INC's Wikipedia page, that it was founded
by Theosophists. One sometimes forgets how weird the 19th century really
was.

http://www.escholarship.org/uc/item/73b4862g?display=all

--
lytlað."