[Marxism] "Coin's Financial School"

Tom Cod tomcod3 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 23:20:29 MDT 2012

I had never heard of this individual before, who is the subject of an
essay in Richard Hofstader's famous book "The Paranoid Style in
American Politics" that I am currently reading. He wrote a tract
"Coin's Financial School" that sold hundreds of thousands of copies
and was revered as gospel by millions of workers, small farmers and
business people in the 1890s in the wake of the terrible depression
that opened up early in that decade and led to the formation of the
Populist Party and the rise of William Jennings Bryan who gave his
famous "Cross of Gold" speech in 1896 during his presidential campaign
favoring paper currency and silver specie as "cheap money" to benefit
the indebted, a similar credo to adhered to by those, most
Anti-Federalist folk, who struggled in the early U.S. under the
Articles of Confederation (another story).  The author tells us he was
more than a mere "money crank" but an emblem of an age and its
profound social discontents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hope_Harvey