[Marxism] We condemn Israel. So why the silence on Syria?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Oct 19 21:14:33 MDT 2012

On 10/19/12 8:45 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> Nearly four years ago Israel launched Operation Cast Lead, designed to halt
> Hamas rocket fire from Gaza.

Do you think that Marxmail subscribers are too stupid to have missed the
next sentence you omitted? "It resulted in some 1,400 Palestinian
deaths." You make it sound like Freedland was dispensing hasbara when in
fact he was calling attention to a double standard. Israeli brutality
gets the "anti-imperialist" left mobilized but that same left stands
aside with its arms folded when Syrians are slaughtered by your hero
Bashar al-Assad. In fact for someone who has spent time in Gaza, you
strike me as fairly obtuse in not having noticed that Hamas came out
against the Syrian Baathists.