[Marxism] Josh Landis: Aleppo is now under FSA control

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Oct 25 07:40:42 MDT 2012

Aleppo Seems to Fall to Rebel Troops. Regime Cuts it Loose?
Thursday, October 25th, 2012

Reports from friends inside suggest that Aleppo is falling to rebel
troops. Both major Christian areas – al-Syriaan al-Jadide and al-Syriaan
al-Qadime have fallen. The regime’s largest Mukhabarat station is in the
second area. FSA sharpshooters have gone to the tops of all buildings in
these areas with no government opposition. The major Kurdish
neighborhood – Ashrafiya – gave no resistance. The government had been
counting on the Kurds to hold back the FSA fighters. Game up in Aleppo
it would seem. Regime seems to have cut it loose. This is what I am
being told by Aleppine friends who are on the phone with relatives
inside both these areas. They have sharpshooters on top of their
buildings. One said the family’s Filipino maid fainted due to the loud
shooting earlier in the day. People are terrified that the regime may
try to strike with airplanes. For now (7:00 Eastern S. Time), an eerie
silence has settled over the city. Where will the government try to hold
the line?

Here is an email from one friend: “I just got a frantic call from sister
in Aleppo. The city of aleppo has largely fallen into rebel hands. They
took over syrian jdide overnight. They are minutes from our house. As i
have been for a while, this appears over”

Good reports estimate that rebel troops number 70,000 in city. Regime
cannot devote troops in that number. They are trying to impress as many
young men into the army as they can. But most young men are staying home
and hiding from conscription.

full: http://www.joshualandis.com/blog/?p=16548