[Marxism] "GOLDEN DAWN, 1980-2012. THE NEONAZIS' ROAD TO PARLIAMENT"

Paul Flewers trusscott.foundation at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 27 16:54:25 MDT 2012

I wrote the following comment in respect of fascism in Greece beneath
another big piece on Golden Dawn here <
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/26/golden-dawn-greece-far-right
>. Many of the comments to the article were of the horrified 'How
could the fascists get such support when Greece was occupied by the
Nazis?', 'Isn't this awful?', and other similar expressions of puzzled
concern. I don't think that the rise of fascism in Greece is in any
way baffling, and, as I wrote, I fear that it could increase its
support.

One can add to the similarities between late Weimar Germany and Greece
today the way that both the SA then and Golden Dawn now do 'social
work', running soup kitchens, etc, for those whom they see as worthy
German/Greek citizens, thus making political gains from the increasing
failure of official social services to provide for needy people. The
Nazis then and the Greek fascists today also condemn austerity
measures, decry foreign political/economic interference (war
reparations then, EU demands today), and loudly condemn bankers, often
with anti-Semitic overtones. That fascists' programmes are a rag-bag
of often contradictory demands does not prevent them from garnering
support from desperate people.

Compared to the fairly loud complaints of the EU bureaucracy about the
activities of the right-wing government in Hungary (which has the
fascist Jobbik party as a junior partner), I have come across next to
no concern shown by the Eurocracy or leading European political
figures to the rise of Golden Dawn, its thuggery and the close links
between the Greek fascists and the Greek police, see <
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/26/golden-dawn-infiltrated-greek-police-claims
> for evidence of the latter. I wonder why this is.

Paul F

+++++++++++++++++++++++

'I am not at all surprised at the rise of fascism in Greece. Greece is
in an advanced state of social disaggregation, jobs are disappearing,
living standards are tumbling, social services are collapsing, family
life and interpersonal relations are under great strain, people are
scared about the future, which does look extremely bleak, and things
are not going to get better for the foreseeable future, not least
because the Eurocracy is unrelenting about imposing its austerity
programme for the country.

'Despite the growth of international business and the rise of
international institutions, the nation-state is still a very strong
focus for political thinking. When economic warfare is being waged, as
it is in Greece, upon a country by an international body -- the EU in
this case -- the response will often be of a nationalist nature. When
the ideology of that body is one of what might be best called
'sunshine liberalism', the sort of 'let's all be nice and friendly to
each other, and celebrate our wonderful diversity within our glorious
democratic framework' kind of thing, then the response to that will be
an inward-looking, undemocratic, illiberal intolerance of anything and
anyone deemed as not fitting into the imagined national norm.

'It is in this atmosphere that the Golden Dawn fascists are making
considerable inroads. Can we expect anything else? It was in similar
circumstances that the Nazis in Germany flourished in the terrible
times of the economic crisis that started in 1929.

'Bad enough as it is, it could get worse. Greece has a largely
right-wing coalition government, and there is still quite a strong
left-wing opposition to it and to the austerity plans that the EU is
demanding and which it is imposing. Should there be a general election
and a left-wing government gets in and it finds that it can't resist
the Eurocracy, reverse the austerity plans and bring about a revival
of the country's economy, then I suspect that the fascists will really
have a field day.'