[Marxism] Morsi's speech at NAM meeting

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 1 09:03:01 MDT 2012

I saw this report in the Al Jazeera blog.  i do not understand either Arabic or Farsi, but I thought I could check the coverage in Tehran Times.
					ken h

Syria about 5 hours ago  http://blogs.aljazeera.com/liveblog/topic/syria-153

When is Syria not Syria? In Iran, possibly, where it has recently become Bahrain.

Interpreters providing live translation of remarks by Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi's at the Non-Aligned Movement summit in Tehran reportedly swapped out several references Morsi made to the uprising in Syria - and the broader protests in the Arab world - to avoid presenting viewers with a narrative than would run counter to the official line.

When Morsi mentioned "the revolution in Syria against its oppressive regime" and called on the Syrian opposition to unite, interpreters exchanged "Syria" for "Bahrain," France 24 and Al Jazeera Arabic, our sister channel, reported.

According to Hassan Hassan, a correspondent for the National, the interpreters also used "Bahrain" when Morsi referred to "Palestinians and Syrians struggling for freedom" and swapped in "Islamic awakening" when he spoke of the "Arab Spring." When Morsi declared solidarity with the Syrian people against oppression, they said he had sided with Syrians against "the conspiracy."

Iran, ruled by a Shia theocracy, has vocally supported the Shia-led protests in Bahrain, which is led by a Sunni monarchy. It is also a longtime ally of Syria and has been accused of supporting the government in Damascus with weapons and cash as it struggles to put down the rebellion. Tehran quashed massive protests against its own leadership in 2009.

http://www.tehrantimes.com/middle-east/100984-egypt-opposes-foreign-military-intervention-in-syria-morsi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeU6J_Knd-I