[Marxism] Glen Ford vs. Michael Eric Dyson on Obama Presidency, Louis Proyect

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Sun Sep 9 00:10:09 MDT 2012

Louis Proyect wrote

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/9/7/effective_evil_or_progressives_best_hope
On the prospect of getting back on the four-year electoral carousel;
thoughts on reconstructing our fragmented reality in the silly season...

By now it should be becoming apparent to everyone who's paying attention
that Obama was anointed by the power-brokering-corporate-politicos,
doing so because it was evident to them, in the context of a probable
protracted economic downturn and at a time when the gutting of
entitlements and imperial dirty work were in need of further extension
and greater camouflage, that a young, charismatic, intelligent, eloquent
black shill for capital, fresh from grooming at Harvard Law School, with
a few years on the public-service hustings and a perfect
corporate-lawyer spouse, was exactly what was needed to gull the masses
this time around. No great mystery that it was perceived as a marketing
miracle. It was a model of use to them not only here at home, but globally.

The purpose of all this conniving is of course profit and expansion for
the shrinking few in a system that is centralizing and concentrating
year by year. As a system based on capital accumulation it must expand
or die, and the centrifugal counter-tendencies of global opposing forces
must be contained at any cost. That includes repression, war and
destruction as and when and wherever called for.

This system is not at all, anymore, responsive to US voters and their
real interests, or anyone anywhere who doesn't serve the purposes of
capital accumulation. If necessary, it's feasible: they will smash
popular opposition ruthlessly. They're doing it now. Look at the
incremental wars, the scarcely hidden use of rendition and torture,
intended as deterrence, the attempted cooptation and curtailment of
movements toward democracy; the assassination or banishing of
recalcitrant, out of favor nationalist rulers, the concealed coercion
and predation in contention for control of resources and cheap labor,
all further proliferating during Obama's tenure, in Pakistan, Yemen,
Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Bahrain, Libya, Syria, on the Asian
and African continents, soon to resume in South America as well, in the
melting, oil-bearing arctic circle, and counting; the repressive
apparatus of surveillance, drones, preventive detention without trial
and special ops that they're rapidly setting in place through
legislation and CIA- and State Department-executive fiat; the gutting of
international law, treaties and compacts, the international anarchy of
imperial rule; the spectacle of obscene "security" at their rigged and
colorless conventions, pointedly held in southern right-to-work states.
Note the difference as
David Harvey points out between the massive police crackdown on the
Occupy forces and the virtual absence of police (except as participants)
at Tea Party rallies. They have set upon the ruled; they're largely
succeeding in confusing, decimating and fracturing the domestic
constituency and its painfully preserved historical bulwark of workers'
protections, civil rights and liberties; they've virtually destroyed
organized worker-power; and they're bankrolling, cozening and
publicizing the far right.

The king-makers know what they're doing; this is by no means conspiracy
theory, or some kind of historical accident - although it is certainly a
response to accidents of history. They, those in charge of shaping the
contours of our manufactured reality, have had years and years of
experience as high-priced manipulators of the economic, political,
cultural and geopolitical apparatus. It's becoming possible, even
probable, that they'll make a one-term president of Obama by shoveling a
preponderance of funding in the next two months to his openly
pro-corporate opponent; because Obama may well be seen by them as having
spent his political capital as a faux "compromiser", and as consequently
no longer interest-bearing, having used up their capital investment in
him; at a time of protracted stagnation and unemployment, with
astronomical deficits and Keynesian, debt-financed solutions
impracticable, it's increasingly likely that their interests lie with
more onerous tactics; and for the time being, while they have lost focus
on a concerted game-plan, the gloves are off. In the uncertain years
ahead, at least if and until stabilization of accumulation is again in
place, a no-nonsense, take-no-prisoners,
"business-discipline-deficit-reduction-austerity" model in the
embodiment of the Romney, most probably will better suit that need, to
bottom out the economy, as prevailing establishment economists counsel,
to maximize their gains and minimize their losses, by any means
necessary, in a narrowing, rapidly shifting politico-economic context. A
model replicated globally, in Europe and elsewhere.

That's the name of the game, and take it from there - not from some
outmoded, liberal "democratic" dream of a more perfect union through
bourgeois-parliamentary channels, a rigged four-year plebiscite,
non-participatory rule and better news ahead, being sold by ossified
political hacks who are rapidly losing their credentials with working
people apprehensive about their future prospects.

So, recalling the helpless drift of capital in the lead-up to the last
two global wars, our interests do not lie with the maddened, predatory
eagle with two right wings, flapping haplessly in a down-rush of
unstable, incalculable calamity. It's no longer hyperbole to forecast
that if we continue on that chaotic route, opposing global forces, of
whatever provenance and credentials, genuinely social-democratic,
populist or autocratic-oligarchic, will find further blowback and the
means to counter, leading to the probability of a reaction of massive
destruction, of imponderable severity this time, and to the prospect of
our mutual oblivion.

Elections-schmelections. The lesser evil camp can't even make people
tremble over a Romney Supreme Court anymore; the tripartite bourgeois
mechanism of "checks and balances" in purported service to a democratic
polity is virtually in total bankruptcy.

We either find the means to organize, find our common ground and
resolutely move toward a system that will serve us, or we see increased
savage brutality and ravaging of people and environment all over the
planet, imposed by those who serve capital. Here's where for us there's
no facile prescription and no certainty; but based on experience during
the 30s Depression and in preceding crises, when mass organizing started
virtually from nothing, based on the imperative of sheer survival in a
world of people as expendable surplus, the history of other struggles
elsewhere, the legacy of entitlement to equal rights and the capacity we
have uniquely been given to learn from the evidence of our senses and
from our history, both of failures and successes; and looking forward,
as illusion concerning our prospects under the prevailing system
inevitably wears thin, and as incremental planet-wide resurgence gathers
force and produces multiplier effects, my conviction is that we can look
for an unstoppable movement toward this outcome to continue from its
present flickering beginnings in the next half dozen years.